Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday, October 21, 2013

Stripping Furniture

I've been busy...
I have (4) of these chairs to strip plus a table base.
I started a rather large project...stripping and re-painting my kitchen chairs and a table base.  I spent approximately 8 hours stripping and sanding (husband did the sanding) one chair!!!  Then a lightbulb went off in my brain...I have a heat gun, why didn't I think of that before I spent 8 hours slaving with liquid stripper??  So, I will try it out on chair number 2 to see how it works.  I will still will have to use stripper to remove the final finish but hopefully it won't take me as long.






One down, three to go.  Sigh, I will keep you posted on the finished product! (I painted this one in bright white semi-gloss paint and it turned out great.  I'll post photos later.  :-)

Follow up:  After using the heat gun and spending just about the same amount of time, I decided to forgo using it and just use the stripper.  I am on chair number 4 now.  I have officially stripped, husband sanded and I've painted 3 of the 4 chairs.  Tomorrow is another day of stripping!  :-(  I don't mind the painting as husband has been using a spray primer from Sherwin Williams first and it covers wonderfully so that I only have to give it two coats of semi-gloss. The second coat just gives it a more finished look.  I'll keep you posted.  After this chair I still have the table base to strip, sand and paint.  I'll post pics when I've finished.

I hope everyone is enjoying this lovely fall weather.  It has finally gotten into the mid 60's and it looks like we might see low to high 40's at night and 70's during the day later in the week.  Take care!

5 comments:

  1. Kris,
    What a big project that you're doing now. I really like the chairs, and I'm anxious to see what they look like with the white paint. I haven't done any big projects lately. It seems that everyday chores and errands keep me busy enough haha.

    Yes, I'm lovin' the Fall days, and enjoying every minute of it. Have a nice week.

    Love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, lovely chairs! I can't wait to see the finished product, I bet they're going to look fantastic:)

    It hasn't cooled down here much, we're still in the mid to high 80's but the humidity has gone down somewhat. We're supposed to have a "cold snap" starting tomorrow but I'll believe when I feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Kris - I have some chairs I need to get my hands on, but then one weekend takes the next and I never manage to get it done. Look forward to seeing the end result. HAve fun - much love Axx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris: What a job!!!! But they're all going to look gorgeous when finished. Did you, by any chance, think of using the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint? You don't need to strip, sand or prime with it. But, they are very limited colors. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard work Kris but I think you will have great satisfaction when it is finished.

    I hope everything is doing well for you and your family.

    Do you still run your Etsy shop ?

    Blessings

    Hélène

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Panama City, Florida