Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday, April 25, 2011

AFTER A WHILE

 I have an album full of articles and poems that I have read over the years and the ones that I thought were particularly enlightening I would cut out and save.  I don't recall where I found this poem but it was a keeper, at least for me.  I believe that you can apply the wisdom in these words to just about any situation you may be going or have gone through.  

We all go through our lives with certain expectations applying them to every aspect of our lives.  Sometimes you aren't disappointed and other times you are.  I believe that each situation we encounter brings with it the opportunity to learn something about yourself.  It may not always turn out to be what you had hoped for or what you wanted but you can be assured that it will bring a lesson that you can learn from. 

I wanted to share this poem with you and hope you can apply it to whatever is going on in your life or perhaps with someone you do know who is having difficulties now.  I hope it brings someone a lift. 




   AFTER A WHILE
   Veronica A. Shoffstall

  After a while, you learn the subtle difference
  Between holding a hand and chaining a soul   
  And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
  And company doesn’t mean security,
  And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts
  And presents aren’t promises,
  And you begin to accept your defeats
  With your head up and your eyes open
  With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child,
  And you learn to build all your roads on today
  Because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans.
  And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.
  After a while, you learn
  That even the sunshine burns if you get too much.
   So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
   Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
   And you learn that you really can endure…
   That you really are strong.
   And you really do have worth.
   And you learn and learn…
   With every goodbye you learn.   

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Panama City, Florida