Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Little Bird and Me

I have a sweet little story to share with all of you. It's about a bird that came to visit me during a time when I was going through a transformation of sorts.  Sometimes, I think I am always undergoing some kind of transformation or another which is good...I think.
Sweet furry friends
Before I tell you the story though, I wanted to include some interesting information on bird symbolism and spirituality:


Since ancient times, because of the Birds connection to the sky, they have been thought of as a supernatural link between the heavens and the earth.
 

Middle Eastern and Asian cultures often speak of birds as symbols of immortality. In East Indian myth, every bird in the world represents a departed soul, and in Christian art, birds often appear as saved souls.

The Crane is a symbol of long life and immortality. The Eagle typifies power, resurrection and generosity. The Falcon signifies, "A Light that Shines in the Darkness". The Nightingale suggests love and longing. The Owl is synonymous with death and darkness; yet it can also bring wisdom, insight and virtue. The Peacock heralds spring, birth, new growth, longevity, and love. And the tiny Sparrow, represents the love of God for even the "least" among us.



With this in mind, I will continue on with the story.  It was in the month of June several years ago when the bird visits started.  I believe the bird was a sparrow, or at least that is what kind of bird I thought it was.  Anyway, it was about 10 minutes before 8:00 a.m. when I heard this pecking on my bathroom window.  It was a constant, peck, peck, peck, a pause, and peck, peck, peck.  This went on for about 20 minutes.  I never got out of bed and really didn't think much about it.  The next morning at the same time give or take a few minutes I heard the peck, peck, peck, a pause, and peck, peck, peck again for about the same amount of time.  Still, I didn't get out of bed.  On the third morning, yet again at the same time the same peck, peck, peck. This time I got out of bed and went to the window and there was this little sparrow sitting on the ledge staring at me.  I looked at him and he looked at me and then he flew away.  


I remember feeling quite puzzled. Once again, the very next morning he appeared again.  He seemed determined to get me out of bed and when I did, he would look at me and I would look at him and he would fly away.  The next morning, I thought, "I'm going to ask him what he wants".  Sounds weird huh, but I really did think that if I thought about it in my mind hard enough I might be able to figure out why he kept coming.  A kind of thought talk... if you will...which I never did figure out. This went on for about 2 months with visits usually everyday or every other day and each time he appeared I would get up, we would look at each other, he would cock his sweet little head and then fly away (although at times, I saw him cheeping back at me...almost like he was talking, trying to tell me something.) I started to look forward to the visits and when I didn't here the peck, peck, peck I wondered where he was. 


One day, he didn't come, then another day passed, then a week, and then I never saw him again.  I felt sad and wondered if his visits were bringing me a message of sorts from a  higher power.  I never did figure it out but maybe I wasn't supposed to.  All I knew was that it was bigger than me. That it brought me great comfort and a sense that I wasn't alone in what I was going through was enough for me. Somehow I knew everything would be all right. 


 I often think back to that time in my life when that sweet little bird brought a bright light into an otherwise dark and very reflective period in my life and who knew the "song in my heart when I forgot it and sang it back to me when I could not remember the words".

9 comments:

  1. This story made me think of the song "His Eye Is On The Sparrow". Remember the verse, "I know he's watching me"? I'm glad the little bird brought you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was definitely a magic moment!
    i loved reading this story, i am always interested in symbolism and all the strange things that happens to us and that we will never be able to explain...
    xo sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh what a lovely story, kris. really touching. i love this story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely moment, I´m touched. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear Kris,
    i got goosebumps while reading. what could it mean?
    how weird and special that was!
    you know since i got sick the deers are coming much closer to the house than R ever remembers. does the world around us understands us so much more than we think?

    thank you for sharing this story.
    i need to tell you that birds have always fascinated me, although i didn`t know much about their symbolism ...

    my favorite bird is the swallow. if i ever get the nerve i will have a swallow tatoo ; ) ... its the only bird that cannot be tamed. that i know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a sweet and lovely story and event...
    love the look of these little birds..
    isn't it so nice to think that the sparrow knew you needed a little comfort and was able to do so....
    even when we feel our loneliest, and we cannot find a friend, Mother Nature has plenty of friends to share with us...
    best,
    maureen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful story, Kris.

    Your heart needs to be open to experience something so lovely.

    You were ready and open...what a gift.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Kris, I love you! What a dear heart you are! What a sweet and loving story. Your writings always touch my heart. Thank you for sharing your gift at Make it Pretty Monday @TheDedicatedHouse. You made my heart pretty reading your story of the sweet bird who made sure you got up when maybe you really didn't want to. Wishing you a grand evening. Toodles, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a poignant story Kathryn! We all need to know we are not alone!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    Artist Series 2012

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Panama City, Florida